Matooke Republic
Saturday, August 30, 2025
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
Matooke Republic
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
No Result
View All Result
Matooke Republic
No Result
View All Result

Two ‘concerned citizens’ petition court to permanently ban minister Kutesa from holding any public office, over corruption

Riaz Paavo by Riaz Paavo
April 4, 2019
in News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Two people have petitioned the High Court in Kampala seeking a permanent injunction that would ban foreign affairs minister Sam Kutesa from ever holding a public office over bribery.

Hong Kong’s former home affairs secretary Patrick Ho Chi was over a week ago jailed for three years by an American court for bribing African officials including Sam Kutesa to gain business favours.

In their petition, Sam Kyomuhendo and Ronald Tugume (describing themselves as concerned citizens) say as a Member of Parliament and a minister, Kutesa swore an oath to uphold the constitution and all the laws governing Uganda and that by soliciting and receiving bribes, he violated the laws.

RELATED POSTS

FULL LIST: Winners and Losers in the NRM CEC Elections

Delegates have been bribed with iPads, phones, and Shs300,000 each — Kadaga

 “Serving as the president of the UN General Assembly on or around may 2016, he(Kutesa) solicited and received a bribe worth $500,000 and other things of value from Patrick Ho. Since Ho was convicted and sentenced to three years by the US court, the first respondent is also liable for receiving the bribe,” the two petitioners contend.

They argue that because Kutesa holds a public office and is held in trust for the people, he must be answerable to the public but in case of failure to adhere to this, he ought to vacate office.

They two petitioners also say his conduct is compromises integrity and is detrimental to public good.

“We seek for a declaration that the first respondent (Kutesa) is declared unfit to hold any public office and a permanent injunction put against him from ever holding a public office,” the petitioners say.

The duo has also asked court to declare that government failed on its duty to investigate and prosecute Kutesa under article 21 of the constitution that says that all persons must be equal before the law.

“The issues raised are matters of broad public concern and sufficiently grave since Kutesa is a minister of foreign affairs and it is in the interest of justice that the orders sought for are granted.”

The court is yet to give a date for hearing of the matter.

A New York judge sentenced Patrick Ho, 69, who worked for the controversial energy conglomerate CEFC China Energy to three years imprisonment after convicting him in December on seven charges of violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and money laundering for bribes.

He had been accused of paying off officials in Uganda and Chad to support the Shanghai conglomerate’s projects in their countries and some of the deals were arranged in the halls of the United Nations.

Evidence by FBI indicated that the former Hong Kong minister sent the money to a bank account in the US before it was wired onto an account in Stanbic Bank in Uganda for Sam Kutesa.

Last year, after being put to task to explain by Members of Parliament the Attorney General said he was going to inquire into the matter and that he would come up with a report by January this year.

Related

Tags: BriberycorruptionSam Kuteesa
ShareTweetSend
Riaz Paavo

Riaz Paavo

Related Posts

Rebecca Kadaga (waving).

Delegates have been bribed with iPads, phones, and Shs300,000 each — Kadaga

by Matooke Republic
2 days ago

...

Deputy Speaker Thomas Tayebwa.

“Why spend Shs5 billion on a CEC position?” Deputy Speaker Tayebwa decries commercialisation of politics

by Matooke Republic
3 days ago

...

Three arrested for trying to bribe officer with Shs900,000 during UPDF recruitment exercise

by Matooke Republic
3 weeks ago

...

Minister Evelyn Anite.

“People fight to go to Parliament to make money, not to serve,” Minister Anite calls for reduction in MPs’ salaries to end violence and bribery in elections

by Matooke Republic
1 month ago

...

Why Museveni ordered the sacking of 152 Entebbe Airport staff

by Matooke Republic
2 months ago

...

Next Post

Awilo Longomba to rock fans at the Kampala Serena Hotel this Friday

Parliament's Communications Director Chris Obore sues employer over attempts to 'illegally' sack him

RECOMMENDED

ARAPAPA by Santa Anzo to headline Pearl of Africa Night at UNAA 2025 in strategic tie-up with Inspire Africa Group

August 29, 2025
Bobkins Kibirige of Kibo Media.

Kenya taps Uganda’s Bobkins Kibirige for CHAN final crowd control

August 29, 2025
  • 642 Followers
  • 23.9k Followers

MOST VIEWED

  • Uganda vs Senegal: CAF reduces online ticket purchases per person ahead of quarter-final clash this Saturday

    573 shares
    Share 229 Tweet 143
  • How to buy tickets for CHAN 2024 matches in Uganda

    550 shares
    Share 220 Tweet 138
  • FULL LIST: Winners and Losers in the NRM CEC Elections

    121 shares
    Share 48 Tweet 30
  • New Desire Luzinda nud3s leak: Is she back to naked past?

    239 shares
    Share 96 Tweet 60
  • Jose Chameleone’s wife Daniella Atim files for divorce over desertion and emotional neglect; Seeks custody of five children and ownership of Sseguku matrimonial home

    80 shares
    Share 32 Tweet 20
Matooke Republic

Uganda's only free Newspaper. Out every Thursday. Freshly peeled info. kiwatule, Kampala, Uganda.

  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos

© Matooke Republic 2024

© Matooke Republic 2024

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.