Entebbe Grade B Hospital was the first hospital in Uganda to receive the first COVID-19 patient in Uganda on March 21, 2020. Since then, the hospital has handled 158 COVID-19 patients, and 140 have since recovered and discharged, the latest being the 44 discharged today.
While discharging the recoveries today at Entebbe at an event graced by the Ministry of Health Permanent Secretary Dr Diana Atwine, hospital director Dr Moses Muwanga told Dr Atwine that over 100 health workers, 70 of whom work at the frontline of the COVID-19 fight have not received their risk allowances for two months.
Each front line health worker earns between Shs40,000 and Shs80,000 per day while on duty.
“We pray that somehow you recognize, if possible, we could have a thank you from the Ministry of Health for work well done. As Entebbe, I think we have tried to make the Ministry move smoothly and whatever patient has been availed to us,” said Muwanga as quoted by The Observer.
However, Dr Atwine clarified that the Ministry of Finance approved the payments and that Bank of Uganda already initiated the payment process so health workers will have their risk allowances paid in their bank accounts by Saturday this week.
Dr Atwine appreciated the tremendous work done and sacrifices by the health workers, who now fit the description of heroes.