Matooke Republic
Sunday, November 30, 2025
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
Matooke Republic
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
No Result
View All Result
Matooke Republic
No Result
View All Result

31 of the 44 kidnaps that happened during elections cannot be traced—Minister Jeje Odongo tells parliament

William Kasoba by William Kasoba
February 5, 2021
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Minister of Internal Affairs Gen. Jeje Odongo was yesterday tasked by parliament to make a statement on the rampant kidnaps and human rights violations during elections.

Gen. Odongo told parliament that government cannot trace 31 of the 44 who have allegedly been kidnapped in the country in the past month.

Kira Municipality legislator Ssemujju Nganda tasked the minister to explain why the security forces cannot trace those who have been kidnapped yet the invested a lot in cameras.

RELATED POSTS

Bullets, tear gas, dogs! These make the Pearl of Africa bleed — Katikkiro Mayiga urges calm during campaigns

Mike Mukula says his son was poisoned

“What is the use of cameras we installed? Shafik was kidnapped in broad day and put in a ‘drone’ vehicle. I am told some of these people have been killed and that is why you cannot trace them,” said Ssemujju.

Minister gave details of the reported kidnaps saying that some of the reported kidnaps have been investigated and seven of these were not kidnapped but formally arrested for aiding and abetting terrorism.

“So far we have 44 cases of alleged kidnap. Seven were arrested, charged and are on bail. Four were arrested, 11 resurfaced after three days and a one Fred Kiwanuka was allegedly abandoned in Busunju. 31 people are however yet to be traced as investigations continue,” Odongo said in his statement to parliament.

He added that, “I appeal to the public to report these alleged incidents of kidnap to Police. We undertake to investigate each and every one of the reported incidents.”

Long serving MP Hon Cecilia Ogwal said the public is interpreting the kidnaps as tribal since many are happening in Buganda and asked government to quickly tame the vice before it’s too late.

 “I am worried why these kidnaps are taking place in Buganda and that the next region will be the North. We don’t like the situation where people think Baganda are different. You touch a Muganda, you have touched an Acholi, a Langi or an Itesot,” MP Ogwal said.

The Speaker Rebecca Kadaga then tasked the minister to explain about the large number of guns in the hands of many people in the community yet they carried out the gun census.

Minister Odongo admited that there are many illegal guns out there which have not been documented despite the gun census in the police, army and among private licence owners.

Related

Tags: Gen Jeje OdongokidnapsParliament of Uganda
ShareTweetSend
William Kasoba

William Kasoba

Related Posts

Joel Ssenyonyi.

LoP Ssenyonyi explains fresh Service Award saga, denies receiving Shs650m but says Commissioners got Shs400m each

by Matooke Republic
4 weeks ago

...

Electoral Commission Chairperson, Justice Simon Byabakama.

EC issues new payment guidelines for Parliamentary Nomination Fees

by Matooke Republic
2 months ago

...

Kira Municipality MP Ibrahim Ssemujju Nganda.

If a group of elites have disappointed you, don’t hand over the country to comedians — Ssemujju urges Ugandans to elect competent legislators

by Matooke Republic
2 months ago

...

Minister Evelyn Anite.

“People fight to go to Parliament to make money, not to serve,” Minister Anite calls for reduction in MPs’ salaries to end violence and bribery in elections

by Matooke Republic
4 months ago

...

Parliament to start covering burial expenses for former MPs

by Matooke Republic
6 months ago

...

Next Post

EC asks Supreme Court to dismiss Kyagulanyi’s petition

Court issues arrest warrant against Pastor Mondo

RECOMMENDED

Baraka’s grand debut energised by Bell Citrus relaunch

November 30, 2025

Tusker Cider to fire up meatings again this December — The BBQ Experience returns bigger and bolder

November 29, 2025

MOST VIEWED

  • Here are the requirements you must have to pick your new national ID

    127 shares
    Share 51 Tweet 32
  • Mike Mukula says his son was poisoned

    33 shares
    Share 13 Tweet 8
  • Sasha Ferguson hits back at Canary Mugume, urges him to seek help

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • How URA’s armed investigation officers raided KFC’s office in Kololo

    25 shares
    Share 10 Tweet 6
  • OC Ntawo Police Station in Mukono shot dead

    23 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
Matooke Republic

Uganda's only free Newspaper. Out every Thursday. Freshly peeled info. kiwatule, Kampala, Uganda.

  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos

© Matooke Republic 2024

© Matooke Republic 2024

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.