While surprise parties are exciting, the surprise factor means that there is a margin for error. Mukono Municipality legislator Hon. Betty Nambooze has shared a horrible story of how her son’s birthday surprise went wrong.
Nambooze has shared a long post on her social media.
“The last three days have been a big test for us. Personally, I was feeling terribly worried. It’s only by God’s mercy that our Joshua Mwesigwa is still in one piece,” reads Nambooze’s post in part.
She adds, “I had chosen to keep quiet but I have realized that it is the selfishness of me if I don’t tell this piece of news for what befell us can easily happen to others. This is a caution to all of us.”
The legislator reveals that Joshua was at school and his friends wished to surprise him as a birthday boy.
“It was night as he walked into the dormitory after Preps. He landed into an ambush by friends who poured cold water on him from buckets. He was caught unaware, he jumped to run into the dormitory towards a room he shares with five others.
He missed the step and came down with a big force his chest hitting the floor first. The next hours became terrible for the boys. They realized that their playful ambush had landed their friend into an accident that was ugly from the word go,” she says.
She further discloses that the boys lifted their colleague to the college sickbay but the school Nurse refused to come over.
“I’m told that all of these boys slept in the sickbay with their friend crying through the night. Well by 6 am the boys were online with an urgent call to Mr.Bakireke (Nambooze’s husband) and then to my eldest daughter Sylvia who rushed to the school only to find her brother semi-conscious!” she narrates.
Nambooze adds, “The way the news was delivered, worried everybody. Personally, I was in deep sleep. And it was resolved one not to wake me up, two not to inform me yet. When I woke up everyone was dodging me but it didn’t occur to me that there was some terrible news. I was told that Dad had gone out to meet someone urgently.”
Nambooze says she was informed a day later and taken to see Joshua.
“With a heavily swollen neck and difficulty in speaking and breathing. I almost collapsed, seeing my son in such a state.
I thank the Doctors at Mengo Hospital and my brother Dr Kajja a consultant at Mulago. The entire team of medics who by God’s grace saved my son. I’m in your debt great scientists, thank you mikwano,” she says.
“Now as we continue to pray that Joshua heals fast and effectively, let us pick a lesson. I have always been uncomfortable with the birthday surprise treat involving ambushing somebody with a splash of cold water on him/her. Today I’m 100% sure that this is not a good game… kindly let us stop this excitement before it claims a life,” she adds.