Matooke Republic
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
Matooke Republic
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
No Result
View All Result
Matooke Republic
No Result
View All Result

Uganda Martyrs’ Day celebrations postponed

Matooke Republic by Matooke Republic
May 18, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

President Yoweri Museveni has postponed this year’s Uganda Martyrs Day celebrations due to fears of the spread of Ebola following an outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and confirmed cases linked to cross-border movement into Uganda.

The annual celebrations, held every June 3 at the Namugongo Martyrs Shrines, usually attract hundreds of thousands of pilgrims from Uganda and neighbouring countries, especially eastern Congo.

This year’s event was expected to attract even bigger crowds, with many pilgrims already travelling on foot towards Namugongo.

RELATED POSTS

Government reverses medical intern pay cuts, restores Shs1m net allowance

Two men sentenced to 150 years for boda-boda rider’s murder

In a statement issued on Sunday evening, Museveni said the decision was reached after consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders.

“After consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders, we have decided to postpone the Martyrs’ Day to a later date, which will be communicated,” Museveni said.

He explained that the move was necessary to protect lives because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims from eastern Congo every year, where authorities are currently battling a fresh Ebola outbreak.

The President urged pilgrims who had already started their journeys to return home safely and continue observing health guidelines aimed at preventing the spread of the deadly virus.

“I encourage those who had begun their journey to return home, continue observing the precautionary measures, report anyone who is sick, and encourage those who are ill to seek medical care,” Museveni said.

Health authorities are increasingly concerned about the heavy movement of people across the Uganda-DRC border as religious pilgrims continue travelling to Namugongo.

Reports from eastern Congo indicate that Ituri Province has registered several confirmed Ebola cases, hundreds of suspected infections and dozens of suspected deaths since the outbreak was detected earlier this month.

Uganda has already recorded at least one imported Ebola case involving a Congolese national who later died in Kampala.

This is not the first time public health concerns have affected the annual celebrations. During the COVID-19 pandemic, large public gatherings for Martyrs’ Day were also suspended to limit the spread of the virus.

Related

Tags: Ebola OutbreakMartyrs' Day
Share1Tweet1Send
Matooke Republic

Matooke Republic

Freshly peeled info from area code 256

Related Posts

Uganda discharges last Ebola patient

by Matooke Republic
1 month ago

...

50 healthy volunteers aged 18–55 needed for first Bundibugyo Ebola Vaccine trial

by Matooke Republic
1 month ago

...

How Martyrs Day Mass & Service will be conducted today at Namugongo

by Matooke Republic
3 months ago

...

Uganda records 6 new Ebola cases as total hits 15

by Matooke Republic
3 months ago

...

Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases

by Matooke Republic
3 months ago

...

Next Post
Anita Among.

Anita Among withdraws from speakership race, says she will cooperate with ongoing investigation

Who was Anita Among before joining NRM and rising to Speaker of Parliament?

RECOMMENDED

Kenneth Mugabi surprised during live rehearsal as V&A Sherry backs his 10th anniversary concert

August 18, 2026
Health Minister Dr Chris Baryomunsi.

Government reverses medical intern pay cuts, restores Shs1m net allowance

August 18, 2026

MOST VIEWED

  • Here’s how Uganda’s A-Level grading system is going to look; O and F grades to be removed from the main grading scale

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Muhoozi’s son Ruhamya now holds the rank of Second Lieutenant after graduating from UK’s Sandhurst Academy

    21 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • Court orders former Uganda Cranes captain Andy Mwesigwa to deposit Shs392 million in loan dispute with ABC Capital Bank

    19 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • Former Uganda Cranes Captain Andy Mwesigwa risks losing school over unpaid loan accumulating to Shs1.3 billion

    16 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • More details emerge about murder of SC Villa Captain David Owori; Police recover his shin guards and shoes with bloodstains

    13 shares
    Share 5 Tweet 3
Matooke Republic

Uganda's only free Newspaper. Out every Thursday. Freshly peeled info. kiwatule, Kampala, Uganda.

  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos

© Matooke Republic 2026

© Matooke Republic 2026

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.