Matooke Republic
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
Matooke Republic
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
No Result
View All Result
Matooke Republic
No Result
View All Result

First group of 273 evacuated Ugandans returns home from South Africa

Matooke Republic by Matooke Republic
July 3, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The first group of Ugandans evacuated from South Africa under the government’s voluntary repatriation programme has safely returned home.

A total of 273 nationals, including 18 infants and 255 adults, arrived at Entebbe International Airport in the early hours of Friday aboard the first evacuation flight. The group was accompanied by Uganda’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Ambassador Paul Amoru.

The returnees were welcomed by government officials led by the Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs, Haruna Kasolo, who described the operation as a major step in protecting Ugandans affected by the recent wave of xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

RELATED POSTS

URA displays Shs225 million cash recovered in customs bribery investigation

Muhoozi’s son Ruhamya now holds the rank of Second Lieutenant after graduating from UK’s Sandhurst Academy

Kasolo commended the Ugandan High Commission in Pretoria and the various government agencies that worked together to organise the evacuation, saying their coordinated efforts ensured the safe return of the first group.

He reaffirmed the government’s commitment to safeguarding Ugandan citizens abroad and said the repatriation exercise would continue until 4 July to allow more nationals wishing to return home to do so.

“As we welcome home the first group of our compatriots, I want to assure all Ugandans that the evacuation exercise is still ongoing. The government remains committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of its citizens,” Kasolo said.

More than 700 Ugandans in South Africa have so far registered for voluntary repatriation following the recent security concerns, with additional evacuation flights expected to bring back the remaining returnees.

Related

Tags: Government of UgandaUgandans in South Africaxenophobic attack in South Africa
Share1Tweet1Send
Matooke Republic

Matooke Republic

Freshly peeled info from area code 256

Related Posts

President Yoweri Museveni.

Ugandans repatriated from South Africa to get Shs2 million each and Shs2 billion for their SACCO

by Matooke Republic
4 weeks ago

...

Minister Haruna Kasolo.

Over 700 Ugandans to be evacuated from South Africa after one killed in xenophobic attack

by Matooke Republic
2 months ago

...

Daily Monitor’s long history of clashes with the government

by Matooke Republic
2 months ago

...

How Namboole will look after the ongoing upgrade

by Matooke Republic
2 months ago

...

Dr Ramathan Ggoobi.

Gov’t scraps public funding for national celebrations, President to address nation via radio, TV

by Matooke Republic
3 months ago

...

Next Post

Museveni orders talks on single East African visa for AFCON 2027

Gov't gives digital number plate contractor three weeks to end shortage

RECOMMENDED

URA displays Shs225 million cash recovered in customs bribery investigation

August 17, 2026

A SheWalks Party For The Queens Of Golf

August 17, 2026

MOST VIEWED

  • Here’s how Uganda’s A-Level grading system is going to look; O and F grades to be removed from the main grading scale

    20 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • Former Uganda Cranes Captain Andy Mwesigwa risks losing school over unpaid loan accumulating to Shs1.3 billion

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • “We had gone to work, not knowing we had attacked someone popular,” Suspected gang members speak after arrest over SC Villa Captain David Owori’s murder

    15 shares
    Share 6 Tweet 4
  • More details emerge about murder of SC Villa Captain David Owori; Police recover his shin guards and shoes with bloodstains

    13 shares
    Share 5 Tweet 3
  • Former Army Commander General Katumba Wamala who has served for 47 years among high-ranking officers set to retire this month

    19 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
Matooke Republic

Uganda's only free Newspaper. Out every Thursday. Freshly peeled info. kiwatule, Kampala, Uganda.

  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos

© Matooke Republic 2026

© Matooke Republic 2026

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.