Matooke Republic
Friday, May 22, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
Matooke Republic
  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos
  • Relationships
No Result
View All Result
Matooke Republic
No Result
View All Result

Ugandan maid dies in Saudi Arabia, recruiting agency refuses to help repatriate body for proper burial, refers family to government

Riaz Paavo by Riaz Paavo
February 2, 2022
in News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
105
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Another family in Masaka is seeking to return the body of their daughter, Zaituni Zawedde who died in Saudi Arabia, where she was working as a domestic worker. 

Zawedde joins a growing list of Ugandans who have lost their lives in the Middle East countries, where they had sought jobs. Some activists blame the government for withdrawing the licenses of some recruitment agencies, without a clear plan of monitoring workers still employed abroad.

On the 20th January 2022, 23 years old  Zaituni Zawedde who hailed from Masaka died from Saudi Arabia where she had been working as a domestic  worker.

RELATED POSTS

Brand new car, housing allowance, and new furniture every five years: Here are the benefits Anita Among receives as outgoing Speaker of Parliament

How four men allegedly scammed South African national of Shs388 million in fake gold deal

Zawedde was taken to Saudi Arabia by Forbes Enterprises Limited and her contract was set to expire this month, with the hope of returning to Uganda in March 2022,  according to family members.

“We want to know what caused my sister’s death. I had talked to her and she never told me she was ill,” Zawedde’s sister said in a local TV interview.

“We were expecting her to return in March. We were shocked that she died at the end of her contract,” another Family member said.

The family’s constant appeals to Forbes Enterprises Limited to help return Zawedde’s body for proper burial have been fruitless with the company referring them to the government.

According to Abdullah Kayondo the president, Migrant Workers’ Voice, the government had suspended the company’s license leaving those recruited by Forbes enterprises Limited in an uncertain situation.

The pain of getting employment in the country has pushed many to seek for opportunities elsewhere. 

About 12,000 Ugandans leave for the Middle East annually in search of employment, according to government data.

However, for a while there have been a number of complaints on how Ugandans die abroad.

There also has been a debate in the Public on the measures the government is putting in place to solve the issue.

“Why are the bodies increasing in number, isn’t the government concerned to understand this, to come up and do something? What is killing our own all the time and seems as if there is traffic because you have seen the trafficked in Dubai also calling for support,” Kayondo the president, migrant workers’ voice said.

Kayondo added that it is only the government that can end this problem.

The Minister of state for Labor Betty Among has also come out and talked about the matter requesting that government should step in to help bring back the concerned Ugandans if the company’s license has been suspended.

“Just last week when I returned, I came back with 40 girls so if they have lost and the company is closed kindly come to the ministry of gender, labor and social development and ask for the commissioner in charge of the employment services,” Among said.

Related

Share42Tweet26Send
Riaz Paavo

Riaz Paavo

Related Posts

Brand new car, housing allowance, and new furniture every five years: Here are the benefits Anita Among receives as outgoing Speaker of Parliament

by Matooke Republic
5 hours ago

...

How four men allegedly scammed South African national of Shs388 million in fake gold deal

by Matooke Republic
7 hours ago

...

What Uganda’s new Ebola guidelines mean for you

by Matooke Republic
9 hours ago

...

Former Vision Group boss Kabushenga expresses interest in running for FUFA President

by Matooke Republic
9 hours ago

...

Over 50 Ugandan Films Set for Nationwide Festival Screenings

by Matooke Republic
9 hours ago

...

Next Post

Bobi Wine only inspires me but he has never contributed money to any of the proprieties I own- Mikie Wine

I used to make Shs3.5b a year in my prime but I have no investment in Uganda -- legendary boxer Kassim Ouma

RECOMMENDED

Brand new car, housing allowance, and new furniture every five years: Here are the benefits Anita Among receives as outgoing Speaker of Parliament

May 22, 2026

How four men allegedly scammed South African national of Shs388 million in fake gold deal

May 22, 2026

MOST VIEWED

  • Who was Anita Among before joining NRM and rising to Speaker of Parliament?

    47 shares
    Share 19 Tweet 12
  • Who are Lenia Charity Kevin and Robert Maseruka, the youngest legislators in the 12th Parliament? Both once belonged to NUP, but one crossed to NRM

    28 shares
    Share 11 Tweet 7
  • Here’s everything you need to know about Speaker Anita Among’s new car Mercedes Benz S500

    274 shares
    Share 110 Tweet 69
  • Speaker Among’s expansive residence in Bukedea; here are the details

    162 shares
    Share 65 Tweet 41
  • Justine Nameere claims Anita Among’s Rolls-Royce was a gift, says the Speaker has many wealthy friends

    36 shares
    Share 14 Tweet 9
Matooke Republic

Uganda's only free Newspaper. Out every Thursday. Freshly peeled info. kiwatule, Kampala, Uganda.

  • Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Features
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Photos

© Matooke Republic 2024

© Matooke Republic 2024

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.